Thursday, September 13, 2007

Before Starting Again...

Let me blog a bit. Haven't been updating for almost a week.

Classes have finally started: as I have predicted, this semester is going to be rough. The class on Cell Signalling is pretty intense (the lecturer presented more materials on signalling than 1 sem of cell bio covered during the first lecture); it is almost like a graduate level course already. There are graduate students in the Molecular Biology class; so it is essentially a graduate level course which allows undergraduates to enrol in freely. The History of Life Sciences class is a class which requires us to ultimately produce a research paper 18 - 25 pages long.

Fortunately both Genetics and Scientific Revolution are not as time consuming as the rest - from what I can perceive at this moment. My prostate development research is under way; I have already a research direction and plan drawn out so now I have to execute it (meaning more reading and literature research).

Haha and I am enrolling into an Emergency First Responder class (hmms to refresh my skills? And get accredited in America...), and might be joining Zx's design team (depending on whether the BME department allows).

So, if I am doing design team I will be doing 21 credits + other stuff = 7 official credit-accuring classes + other stuff. Still nothing compared to the rest who are BME majors (and other minors)but still...

GCS has left the US for good this time to return to Singapore to complete his NS. I couldn't help making fun of him... Haha contrast how happy he was when he disrupted from service 3 years ago. He always feels negatively towards NS (partly because he didn't have a very nice experience in BMT - neither did I though, but I think mine was still comparatively better), and he doesn't exactly like going back to Singapore for some reason, so he wasn't looking forward to it at all. Well, I have already taught him how to use his medical condition to his advantage, and I have already wished him luck in his posting, so everything else would be up to his fate.

Haha Ce Xiang and him should be going to my home for dinner soon. I have also offered my family as a source of support if he needs it, so it shouldn't be too bad for him I guess :P

Oh the car. Spent $450 fixing: 1) muffler (now it is much quieter! I want it to be quiet, not cool :P) 2) motor bracket 3) the ball joint in the steering mechanism 4) wipers - and completed the inspection with an oil change. Dad says that it's also around that price in Singapore, so I don't have much to complain about that. Basically there are still minor things like the locks and the rusts and the wires and the spark plug etc. that need to be fixed, but those are not safety issues so I can delay it a little.

GCS was insisting that I am overly cautious and taking care of the car too much - but from what I can tell his way of maintenance is certainly not sufficient to my standard. He didn't even know that there are rusted spots on the paintwork. I rather be overly cautious than not - people who know me well know this for sure. I rather wait unnecessarily than to rush and be anxious and be uncertain and then have a heart attack before catching the train at the last minute :P

Since that experience with Yj in Switzerland I have adopted that philosophy... I can still remember the steam that is coming out of Tk's ears when we were on that platform in Zurich.

So I have gotten everything for my car to be premanently registered. Soon I will take the driving test and get my Maryland license - and then I would be done with the whole thing! Haha and I can then be the first known Singaporean undergraduate in the recent era who bothers to go through all the administration to get a car and a Maryland license. This tradition ought to be passed down!



Pictures of my room and apartment, as promised:

Overview!
My desk: very messy right. Not enough storage space at all... I need a bookshelf and probably another drawer or two :P
The kitchen is not good... note the lack of space for cutting, the existence of only 2 stoves and the absence of an oven. The microwave doesn't work - Kai has already gotten a replacement.
The very messy underutilised living room. I will have to tidy it up some time.
Yiran unpacking...

Labels: