Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cantonese.

Cantonese is a beautiful language. We don't speak it. We sing it.

For example:
獨臂刀 - dok bay dou
The tones of the three words coincide exactly with:
E-F-G
So, when you say the three words in Cantonese, it will be 'dok(E) bay(F) dou(G)'.

Another example:
蒸鬆糕 - jing song go
G-G-G
So: 'jing(G) song(G) go(G)'.

One more example:
豉油皇炒麵 - si yao wong cao min
E-C-C-E/G-E (/ = glissando as in violin)
So: 'si(E) yao(C) wong(C) cao(E/G) min(E)'.

Haha that's why Cantonese songs are all like spoken. Because we are basically singing when we talk. That also means when you know how to sing a Cantonese song you automatically know how to narrate it.

In case you are wondering:

獨臂刀 (literally 'single-armed warrior') is the nickname my family gave to a friend of my sister (who calls her pretty often and then they'll talk and talk and talk until the wee hours of the morning). He is given the nickname because he once came to our house for a barbecue and he was using our kitchen to cook with one arm because he injured the other.

蒸鬆糕 (literally 'steamed rice cake')is the nickname my family gave to one of my friends. He knows it. Guess who.

豉油皇炒麵 is a roadside dish eaten as breakfast or supper in HK. It's random here. And it means 'fried noodles in soy sauce'.

We are very good at giving nicknames. My sister's friends are the hardest hit (er it's not me! It's my mum!). I call my sister 'sushi' these days for some reason. We call our dad 'fish'. Mum is 'penguin'. I am 'meh meh gor' (er don't ask me what it is).

And apparently to other people my family is basically one bunch of funny eccentric clowns. We went for blood donation one day (I am the only one doing it on that day though) and after that we were having (free) snacks at the HSA cafe. I was talking about something (I can't remember what) and there was this lady sitting directly opposite me. I could see that she was listening to me, because she was trying very very hard to not laugh. You should have seen her expression man. I was really trying very very hard also to say things which is funny to her (but not to my family because they are used to it) to see when she have to burst out laughing. But the rest of my team didn't know what I wanted to do at that time (I couldn't communicate it to them) so it's a pity that we left before I succeeded :P

By the way, some photos!





Guess what. All Hong Kong! On the same island some more!

Labels: ,