Tuesday, October 07, 2008

5th week of school...

I am too many things to do. Really.

But I am not giving up play! I was in Boston last weekend; it was awesome! Met up with so many people, and I got to eat my lobster :D Also, I actually got to address my concern regarding the relative lack of social support to low/middle-income families regarding financial planning and seeking opportunities to the PS that presented to us. He replied that - involving too much into that can potentially put the government in danger of being too omniscient, and from there I implied that after all the provision of such services will still rest in NGOs and the civic society. I will see what we can do about it.

Random things - I have long been using the Mudd - Macauley - Dunning - Remsen tunnel to avoid the crowd out of Mudd after lectures. Now I discovered an even more cool tunnel/overhead bridge link in the Med School which links the southwestern-most building (where my lab is) and the northeastern-most building (where my collaborator's lab is):

From NE: Rangos -(bridge)- Wood -(corridors)- Pre-Clinical -(bridge)- 1850 Monument -(bridge)- Rutland -(bridge)- Carnegie 3rd floor -(stairs)- Carnegie 1st floor -(hospital corridors)- Halsted -(hospital corridors)- Blalock -(hospital corridors)- Administration -(underpass)- Outpatient Centre -(tunnel)- CRB I -(tunnel)- CRB II (SW)

Haha Biopolis's skybridges cannot even match. Unless there is an unknown tunnel that links Biopolis, Fusionopolis and NUH then yes Singapore will win.

I have also engaged myself in a pretty interesting small online discussion on the relationships between YLL SOM and Duke-NUS, as well as the need for change in our medical education system and the attitude of our doctors towards research and teaching. It is quite refreshing getting such viewpoints from a YLL student and I guess it helps bring people like us back to the actual ground situation in Singapore and not think everything should and can work like how we work here in Baltimore.

Looks like it is going to get pretty exciting as soon as I go back. I have submitted to the fact that my destiny will be tied to Singapore's, so I might as well show some interest in such issues and not always thinking about running away...

Labels: ,