Sunday, September 28, 2008

New Skin - Finally!

On 'Life is not fair, and it will never be':

>Ferret: I have been praying about it - I believe that I will know the answer when the right moment comes...
>Songyu: that is too poetic already man. I don't think the kind of life that I am heading towards will be 'sweet', but I don't suppose I will regret anything...

Finally got my new skin!

The banner is basically a summary of my adventures: from left to right, sheep soft-toy looking out of my bedroom window; Biopolis from the Proteos/Genome skybridge; Johns Hopkins Hospital; Cambridge's King's College Chapel with Sushi.

The idea 'life is not fair' - well, is a concept that looks nice on the human right declaration, but once you hit the realisation that 'it is never supposed to be', it will not bother you much anymore, because the realisation will make all perceivable comparisons completely pointless.

It is precisely because life is unfair that we end up in various positions filling up various roles. We are all here for different purposes, and we will fulfill our purposes differently because we are all different.

Thus - we should spend more time in finding our own purposes rather than lamenting about how we did compared to other people, how many bungalows he has and how many bungalows I have, and he can hire a $1000-tutor for his child while I have to teach mine myself.

As for me, I am not too bothered with material wealth and enjoyment (I was complaining previously because I can't even survive without putting myself in debt), thus that explains why I am absolutely not interested in any job in the finance sector even though they promise millions of dollars. But I still don't know what my purpose is supposed to be...

I am pretty sure I am the kind of person in which if I can get a comfortable Honda to drive I will see it as completely pointless to get a Jaguar or Lexus - like I don't even bother what kind of cell phone I use as long as it works and is cheap, and flying SQ is not something necessary if it is not one of the cheaper options.

Thus, as long as my family can live comfortably, I am not bothered if I can't get a lot of monetary returns from my (disproportionately heavy) work - I believe I am pretty well-known for doing more (and being better - and thus I seem pretty intense) than what is expected of me most of the time.

I just need to be doing something that satisfy me. But exactly what does, that would be my purpose that I still have to find. To put it generally, I want to do something that will affect people's lives significantly, using my interests, strengths, skills and knowledge, and it seems that being a doctor-cum-scientist works...

And it is also precisely because life is unfair that we need to do social justice. To me, a society is functional as long as those who think they need help will get help, and channels for social mobililty are smooth. Life doesn't have to be fair, but as long as there is general social justice it doesn't matter that much...

Life is not fair. It is never meant to be. As long as we can survive and not need help, we should be thankful - and comtribute ourselves to social justice!

Labels: