Thursday, January 03, 2008

2008.

2008.

There is this general restlessness in me. I am already 23 and I am still an undergraduate - not the most productive thing a 23-year-old can do isn't it. I (or rather WE) can't help it but still, I just can't wait for graduate school to start. Whether or not that is for a PhD, MD, MD/PhD it doesn't matter - I just want graduate school to start. I consider that as the start of my career.

Also, with all my career goals and the flying involved it is almost impossible to find someone whom I can engage in a long-term relationship with in the near future. Because I am me I prefer to have plans way ahead - and that completely deters me from engaging in relationships that I know will definitely run into walls because I have to leave the place for good. And this contributes to part of the restlessness.

Haha it's just that, I'm not alone!

KH was asking me what keeps me motivated, and I told him stories about scientific discoveries and so on. Well, a simpler answer could be, I want to help people in need, and I want to contribute to the world. Since I am good at academics, and since I am interested in biology, I decided to enter the path of medical research. The thing that keeps me motivated is my strong belief that advances in medicine depends on research, and no matter what research we do, eventually the piece of the puzzle that we laid will contribute to the overall advancement of diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, and patient care. Research forms the basis of clinical care - without research, we might still be prescribing mercury baths for syphillis patients and weapon-salve for knife wounds.

And I must really thank Mr Yue, the ex-DHS vice-principal, for giving me the initial opportunity that showed me the way.

So 2008?
1. Continue to prepare myself for the beginning of my career.
2. At least one Europe trip :P
3. At least one Hiking trip

Okay last year I took off from runways 17 times, and had been through 11 different airports (SIN, BWI, MDW, BUF, JFK, FRA, LHR, HKG, ATL, IAD, NRT). Let me see what will happen in 2008 :)

Labels: ,