Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Craziness Ended!

Finally. Was so stressed the past few days; seriously, was popping panadol and antacid every few hours just to make sure I don't fall apart from all the discomfort I was getting from staring at the computer screen continuously.

I already have so much to study for even when the exams aren't cumulative. I can't imagine what will happen if I get cumulative finals for my classes next semester... Med biochem, micro-b, d-bio, nervous system, basically all of them are memory-intensive. I hope that my anthro and history class will only require essays from me.

Haha have been hearing about phys-found 1. Kind of tempted to take it in fall because it sounds really interesting - though most prob I'll have to S/U it in the end. I definitely can't deal with the math fast and good enough to win those geniuses from BME - how is a bio major supposed to fight with a BME in solving problems that require strings of ODEs? It is good for me though because my way of thinking now is not quantitative; alright for a physician I guess, but definitely bad for a scientist. I have to brush that up :P

Good preparation for HBTM also - I know nothing about systems biology which I might eventually need to know. Now I just know bits and pieces from my random experiences here and there. I am trying to take neuro stuff to give myself a systems perspective in the neuro sense, phys-found 1 will give me a systems perspective for the circulatory system. Cannot take phys-found 2 - I don't know MatLab :P

As you can see, running out of good classes to take from the bio department - unless I want to take plant biochemistry, evolution, ecology, glycobiology, etc (boring). I can progress to 600-level though; it is possible, but not next sem :P

Though there are just too many geniuses around. Singapore feels like a safe haven - I never had the feeling wow this place is really filled with freaking geniuses when I was studying in Singapore. Compared to what I am getting now lab attachments in Singapore were just relaxed - I was so highly supervised every time (i.e. get told what to do and how to do it). One of the reasons for me to be looking forward to graduation is the one-year attachment - I know, even if I will be stressed, I definitely won't be as stressed as now.

I don't know whether that is good or bad - I just have to constantly remind myself of the geniuses in the rest of the world and keep in contact with some of them when I am back in Singapore eventually. We as scientists do not only compete within our company or organisation for position and salary raise - we, as individuals, compete with the world.

Well in order for me to get good grades I have to compromise a lot of things - I am not considered active on campus. Geniuses can still pwn everyone in exams with 2 leadership positions in clubs, regular volunteering and authorship in research papers (they might be the third or fourth author but then it doesn't matter because they're still undergrads - as long as there is it is impressive).

I cannot outdo these people. But I can get to know them and work with them - though sadly I know this kind of people definitely exists (from the classes that I take!) I don't know them yet (doesn't mean that we take classes together we will know each other - this is America). Haha maybe during graduate school I will get to know some :P

Labels: ,