Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day!

Sorry for the Chinese overload :P

Haha the author of that article is writing about how cool her mum is basically - her mum is a doctor and she is just not a typical mum. The article reminds me so much about my mum! It is just that my mum wasn't that cool when we were still small. Haha judging by how naughty we were when we were small, I do really appreciate her strictness then, and coolness now :D

What struck me is that the author is trying to say that we should stop giving stereotypical attributes to mums, and we should see mums as just humans - and in that way we will be able to be more open in the definition of what a 'good mum' is, considering the mum's personal characteristics and the social context that the mum is functioning under.

Whether or not this is valid it is up to debate - I feel that I should support her stand, but I have this feeling that there is something wrong with it. It sounds like we are easing the standards that a mum should achieve but the gap is replaced by nothing - and this is a bit scary :P

Anyhow, I love my mum! :D

By the way, I think I need to learn how to be more sensitive when I talk to people, and not just say things by instinct, especially when I am discussing more contentious issues. I should also learn how to not perceive certain comments as provocation - and stop judging!

But it is just that, how do you not see comments that suggest - 'people who are more religious tend to have a lower IQ', subsequently providing a link to parthenogenesis of a whale (or shark?) under the title 'virgin births might not be a miracle after all', then quoting Joseph Fritzl (the crazy Austrian guy) and inviting you to discuss 'whether the Bible criticizes' Lot's daughters' acts after God destroyed Sodom (Genesis 19:30 - 38) - as provocation? I do not feel mad when I read all these but, initially I still wanted to set it straight, but now I am just too lazy to make significant replies?

I should still do what I should do, but how? I am still reflecting on that...

Labels: