Monday, July 23, 2007

Shows!

I have never entered Esplanade Theatre at such a high frequency in my life.

It first started with Jump!, a Korean martial arts drama/comedy my sister wanted to watch. So we went, and it was good. That's not all.

I saw posters all over Esplanade telling me that RSC was in town and they were going to put up King Lear and The Seagull (with Ian McKellen). I missed everything when I was in Stratford; naturally I want to make up for it. Managed to get my parents interested and, most importantly, managed to get tickets. Matinee, The Seagull, no Ian McKellen (William Gaunt is very good too), but still it was awesome. That's not all either.

Again we saw posters all over the place telling us that The King and I is coming to town. This time I didn't ask, because it is really expensive (by Singapore standard). It was my mum who said she wanted to see a musical (because she is the only one in the family who hasn't seen one; in fact, my sister has seen more shows than me). So I just went online to book tickets for the four of us.

Haha thank goodness I live in Baltimore and not New York or London. I think if these shows are easily accessible I'll become broke just by watching shows. To be frank, shows in Singapore are cheap comparatively... The best tickets (VIP Box) for The King and I costs only S$168 (i.e. US$112) in a world-class theatre like Esplanade; compare it with The Lion King's US$121.25 (NYC)/55 pounds (London) for stalls!

Singapore is really great... It is impossible to not be able to find a show to watch or a concert to go to as long as you are interested in something. Probably the only complaint is that the shows don't run continuously...

Labels: