Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ben Nevis.

Yayy I walked all the way up the highest mountain in the whole of Britain today (yeah I changed my plans :P)!

Walked 5 miles up and 5 miles down. The view on the way up is spectacular! Though the top is all foggy so didn't manage to see anything. Had a nice chat with this guy from Canada though.

Recommended for people with my kind of fitness or better! Though, I see kids and elderly couples walking up as well. Probably they will just need to take longer. I took 7 hours altogether (plus around 30-45 minutes rest).

This is only a very small part of the Scottish Highlands... there are so much more to Scotland! Skye, Loch Ness, West Highland Way, Glencoe, etc etc...

Actually, England too. North York Moors, Yorkshire Coast, Doset/Cornwall, Lake District, etc etc...

And Wales?

Actually I find Europe much more appealing than America, really. Well, every single place in Europe is different... Scotland is different from England and is different from Wales, and there is still Ireland? Also Germany for example, southern Germany (Balvaria) has such a distinct culture that the people there identify themselves as Balvarians rather than Germans. This is similar in Scotland, Ireland and Wales. There are still differences between countries!

America? Well, how is Maryland different from New Jersey or Illinois? No idea. All look the same to me. All eat the same things some more. California is certainly more tidy and has more sun though :P

I think I really should seriously consider coming to the UK to do PhD. At least, when I am too sick and tired of cloning plasmids I can take 2 days off, create a long weekend and drive/take bus/train to Inverness to watch dolphins or go to Wales to see seals and their pups :P Where can I go when I am in the US? New York City?

(Chatted with this German guy when I was in York; he says that the European system will require 4 years for a PhD because we'll need to get a Master's first. Cambridge works this way, and this is also in the MRC handbook. Well, I have 5 years :D)

Yeah and there are so many more nice places to hike in!

Well, leaving Scotland tomorrow (before that I will hike into the valley to see waterfall :P). Back to civilisation and people!

Labels: