Sunday, June 10, 2007

In York.

I am typing this on my laptop in a MacDonald's in York. I bet no one who blogs has ever done that before :P

Of course, the MacDonald's doesn't have Internet connection. I'm simply typing this into MS Word. I'll upload it when it is eventually my turn to use the hostel's shared computer.

Birmingham and Stratford-upon-Avon (or Stratford) have been rather disappointing. Birmingham is like Singapore: there are a lot of shops and shopping malls, with a few not very interesting museums here and there, a church in the centre, and nothing else. Stratford, being Shakespeare's hometown, is of course touristy as usual. Recommended only if you are a 'Shakespeare nut' (quoting Jessica).

Took buses for the whole afternoon in order to get to York from Birmingham. York is a charming place; it is just that the hostel isn't very appealing (as you can see, they have no Wi-fi!). Oh well. I will only be here for 2 nights so...

I will be heading to York Castle tonight. Unlikely that I will be able to watch sunset there (the sun really sets toooooo late), but it should be pretty nice to see the walls and the castle under evening light conditions?

Haha by the way, whacked GCS quite a bit these few days. In one Facebook email and one MSN convo (he asked for it because he started it) I unveiled all his weaknesses that both Ce Xiang and me saw in him. Hopefully can knock some sense into him...?

I was telling him not to expect people to reciprocate when he tried to be nice to people (I learnt this from my mum). Yeah that is very true... always true, for whatever reason. Well, it makes me feel better for me to think this way. If I have expected people to reciprocate, I would have stopped being nice long ago. As I have lamented to my friends, being nice really gets me nowhere. Nowhere.

I guess he is feeling bad also partially because he feels that people are treating him as transparent, and with his kind of ego, being treated as transparent can be rather unbearable. I guess I am pretty used to that already though. Well, we kind of compensate that by filling ourselves with our academic achievements...

If you take that away from us, I don't know what we have left.

Anyway, I stopped him from doing something stupid by using this quote which he loved: 'Soft toys do not self-destruct and they cannot be consumed'. Haha if he wants to be a (genuine) nice guy, this has to become his motto :D

--Posted 9:30am BST 10/6/07
--Post amended 7:00pm BST 11/6/07 on GCS's request.

Labels: ,