Monday, October 09, 2006

Mid-Autumn...

Fall is here!

First things first: mum's recipe was FANTASTIC! I experimented with the onion chicken recipe and it turned out PERFECT! Really really appreciated that... Especially that she stayed up till 1am consolidating them for me instead of watching her favourite Korean drama :P

Back to other stuff.

First ever Mid-autumn away from home. Certainly it wasn't nice: I didn't have EVERYTHING, including the moon, because of the stupid rain that lasted for half the week.

So, Friday evening Yiran came over to my place and we had dinner together. He brought his rice cooker and some food over and we started to cook... We created stuff within our abilities; it was not fantastic but turned out pretty well! So here is the photo:

Yiran left his rice cooker at my place because he says that he doesn't have many chances to use it... That was just great: I have a rice cooker now!!

After that we started watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Not fantastic, but very cute :) Children's education movie :)

Saturday is always grocery day, but this Saturday I have Yi Chung and Yiran joining me as Yi Chung needs to buy stuff from Giant (which is a rarity). Yi Chung was very unawake because it was his roommate's 18th birthday the day before and there was a party in his room... So, they drank and drank and drank and drank until 4+ am, and Yi Chung was complaining "those kids were puking all over my toilet, and I had just cleaned it!" (ouch..) That was really one great disadvantage of living in a dorm, unless you like those parties and drinking. I would rather do without them.

And in the evening went to Towson to have MAF dinner with the SSA and HKSA. The Hongkonger's turnout was 3x the turnout of the Singaporeans, and since I didn't know most of them (none of those I knew was freshman), I was sitting with the Singaporeans. It was real Chinese food (not the fake, atrocious one behind my block) and as long as it is real Chinese food no matter how it tasted like it would still be welcomed. So we had soy sauce chicken, fish with corn, beef brisket, steamed pork ribs, etc... not fantastic stuff, but well appreciated :) the restaurant even gave us mooncakes!

Though the auntie was quite interesting... Basically she assumed the whole bunch of us to be Hongkongers (since we are only <25% of the whole population) and spoke to everyone in Cantonese. So when she was trying to clear food and trying to give out food to everyone at our table, nobody knows what she was talking about except me... After she heard me translate her instructions to Mandarin she started speaking in Mandarin, and we thought she would remember. But when she came back after a while, she started her Cantonese again! Haha so I basically have to say something to switch her to Mandarin mode every time she comes :) It was quite funny :)

And I brought back one whole packet of eggplants from the restaurant... Since everyone doesn't want it, I might as well bring it back and it can at least feed me for 2 days :P