Monday, November 03, 2008

Stuff.

Ridiculous incidents:

The most ridiculous thing I did was 3 weeks ago in Sandtown, when I got my car stuck between the curb and the car in front when I have 3 others in the car with another troop outside watching me park. I have to reverse the car up the pavement at a right angle before I got my car loose.

Today I went to church as usual - and drove my car to Wolman to see if anyone needed a ride. No one was there. I was suspecting if there was something I missed already, but I still wasn't smart enough. I drove to church anyway, and saw everyone was inside, and after a while people started walking out. Then I saw Grace.

Me: What time did this service start?
Grace: 8:30?

Erm. I forgot about DST. I thought it was 11 but err it was still 10. What an idiot.
___________________________________________________
So yesterday went to play paintball with a couple of people. It was fun - and once again it proved that I am not exactly very good at shooting games. But it was still fun - ran around for half a day in the sun (it was AMAZINGLY warm and sunny - if we decided to go today it would have been cold and cloudy again), and I actually did successfully personally capture the flag and brought it to base once.

The day before we were down at Fell's Point to see what's the deal for Halloween. Well there isn't much - basically just imagine a lot of crazy people dressed up crazily doing random crazy things; not the kind of fun that we would find 'fun' (i.e. same category as New Year's Eve's Time Square). So we ended up in Vacarro's eating copious amounts of Vanilla gelato, Belgium waffles, Tiramisu, cream puffs, chocolate eclair, rum cake, etc. Jo was amazed at the fact that, me, being a junior, has never been there before, when Grace had visited rather frequently over the summer, and he himself keeps going to Little Italy for good food...

This is not Fell's Point - this is a house near our school :P

My car is honoured to have Baoluo posing on it!

See how no one is looking at Jo.

The crazy crowd.

Realised a cheaper way to eat my lunches whenever I need to go to lab. I can actually go to the North Avenue MacDonald's (on the way), order 1x double cheeseburger, 1x McChicken, 1x small fries/4pc McNuggets/side salad and drink water from my lab's water fountain in my UK imported This Water bottle for $3.18 in total. It is rubbish food (>>remember it is staple for a lot of people living here), but it keeps me alive. Well though, I don't think I can sustain meals like that... It is very boring food!

Today I went out again - this time to the B&O Railroad Museum. As some of you might know, I am a train nut (proof = the MALLARD sign I have on my desk that I got in York), I prefer trains to planes whenever logical, and although I don't seem to remember any train names or models (Mallard, Silver Star, ICE, Eurostar, TGV, the Flying Scotsman, the Caledonian Sleeper and Shinkansen being the exceptions - let's not consider Amtrak and MARC), I still love trains. So I am happy that the topic of a small history paper that I have to write requires me to go down there to look, take photos, and ask people questions.




The museum isn't big - it is hardly half the size of the one in York. However it is a significant site - it is from here the first railroad in America started. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, linking Baltimore and Ohio River, was built originally as an alternative transport route linking the East Coast and the Midwest to compete against the Erie Canal which cuts across upstate New York. Its first stone was laid here in 1828, and the first stretch of 13 miles to Ellicott Mills (now Ellicott City) opened in 1830. The whole thing was complete in the 1850s I think.

To me trains have a couple of types. The sleek ones like the ICE are modern and fast, the okay ones like Amtrak are older and slower but comfortable, the ugly ones like the one linking Cambridge and London, the New York City Subway, the MetroNorth and the Picadilly Line can only merely function to carry passengers, and there are also the historic ones with that kind of font, those logos on them, those classy names and that kind of locomotives:

A B&O Locomotive

The MetroNorth...

Haha next time when I have kids, they will definitely have a lot of toy trains and tracks to play with. That is because those stuff are not mainly for them, but for my own amusement :P

Labels: