Saturday, October 11, 2008

It ain't that deep.

If you actually bothered reading my previous post, I hope that you actually understood what I was talking about... It was, after all, philosophy.

However, from the standpoint of a believer, all these discussions are not that meaningful actually. We believed based on faith, and all these rhetoric is not going to change anything. We do not need to know that it is 'impossible that an infinite causal series exists' before we believe in God. Only people who still not yet believe will say 'I'll believe that God exists when I see angels dancing outside my window' (quote GCS); to believers, our existence everyday is sufficient proof for God's goodness and power.

That is how Anselm's ontological argument will work perfectly for us; God exists both in reality and in the mind, and he is of course infinitely good. It is not difficult at all. We feel him acting around and in us everyday.

Actually, the phrase 'I'll believe that God exists when I see angels dancing outside my window' assumes that God (if the unbeliever finally believes) is a physical existence, which is not likely to be the case. Even if God does not exist physically but only metaphysically, it does not render Him any unreal - He still exists in reality, it is just that we can't perceive Him through our physical senses. Well of course Jesus is an (and so far the only) exception. Anyway, because we are finite, even philosophically we can never fully comprehend God. All we can do is try our best.

A friend once asked me which is the Christian song that means the most to me. I replied that it is the children song 'Jesus loves me this I know'. This song has been playing in my cassette (together with 'London Bridge is falling down') since probably when I was three - and I only recently rediscovered it. It served to remind me how faithful God is - and the song very comforting as well...



Jesus loves me this I know
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to Him belong
They are weak but He is strong

Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
The Bible tells me so

(Jesus loves me He who died
Heaven's gate to open wide
He will wash away my sin
Let His little child come in)

(Jesus loves me He will stay
Close beside me all the way
He's prepared a home for me
And some day His face I'll see)

Labels: