Thursday, April 05, 2007

Ouch.

Zaobao on new Chairman Lim Chuan Poh:

他会把他在武装部队的作风带到新科研,向团队清楚说明他的期望,并以身作则率领团队一起达到目标。

Haha great. So who will be reading RO everyday?

He wants to train A*Star scholars to set up our own companies after '4-5 years of experience, and having some discoveries of our own'. Well, Sir David Lane set up his own lab in Imperial in 1980 (one year after he discovered p53 as a post-doc, and after his 2-year attachment at Cold Spring Habour), and it was only 16 years later he set up his own company called Cyclacel, which has developed 2 anti-cancer drugs currently under clinical trial. So with 4-5 years of experience (or maybe plus my 3(or 5?) years PhD and 2 years post-doc (or 3-4 years MD?), so 10 years) what do I have to start a new company?

A bit unrealistic I guess? Anyway, research can be easily misdirected if it becomes mostly profit-, policy- or society-driven. In the end you waste money, achieve nothing, and stir up unnecessary social turmoil. Lessons from history...

Argh I guess I am happy doing my own research. Certainly I would love to be involved in translational work, but set up a company? Either you wait till I really have something worthwhile on hand, or someone set it up and then I'll sell you my patents. I am more of a planner than a risk-taker :P

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews
/view/268298/1/.html

Anyway, Bio-Rad is setting up a manufacturing plant in Singapore! So does that mean that we'll get our PCR machines fixed faster? And maybe we can get high quality molecular biology-grade Bio-Rad brand fat-free milk powder for free too :P

(Hmms people use fat-free milk powder in labs to make protein blots. Sorry not for coffee.)

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews
/view/268438/1/.html

Labels: