Monday, March 26, 2007

MPs.

Hahahahaha read this...

Wanted: MPs with courage and ability to speak out
Star, Malaysia
March 24, 2007
(Accessed through Singapore Window on March 25, 2007)

.......

But the majority of backbenchers praised the budget, some in exuberant terms that are opposed to public sentiment.

Despite the leaders' exhortations to MPs to speak their minds, not many had done so.

A sample of backbenchers' exuberant praises included "generous and forward looking", "good intentioned" and "made in heaven", "a landmark budget", "wonderful", "innovative" and "pragmatic."

The generosity of the budget is possible under the stewardship of the ruling People's Action Party, said one MP, sounding like a Pyongyang news headline.

Another remarked: "Nowhere else in the world can you get a budget which includes love and compassion in abundance as this one."

......

Hmms, I was just defending the budget yesterday when my mum was telling me about her point of view regarding the civil service's imminent pay rise. My position is that 'the budget has done all conceivably reasonable' and 'what more can you ask for'. My mum has this thinking that the civil service's salary levels should pitch against the earnings of typical Singaporeans rather than top management positions in the private sector, which is a position I contest in a general national interest point of view. However we both agree that the government's role is not solely address the larger picture, as it's also the government's responsibility to make sure that every Singaporean is able to survive decently and help should never be unavailable.

I do also agree that more work can be done to help bridge the gap between the rich and the poor, which is an intrinsic problem in a capitalist society, and these efforts are essential in ensuring stability within society in general.

However after reading the above chilling article (the quotes have to be true, despite the newspaper being Malaysian), I have strengthened my view that I should vote for the opposition when I eventually can vote. It is not just self-praise: they have neglected to consider the feelings of typical Singaporeans, which is an important role politicians are supposed to take on. I don't think I'll need a representative who do not represent my interests.

Well, even if you intrinsically think that you should take a position which supports any policy by the government, speak for it more rationally, and put your argument forward in a more reasonable way. Saying that the budget is 'made in heaven' and 'nowhere else ... includes love and compassion as much as this one' is simply too much. Do these people seriously think that the cabinet ministers are Saints and Lee Hsien Loong is God?! No wonder the commentator likened them to Pyongyang officials.

(And I stress here again: voting for the opposition is not equal to being not grateful for PAP's contribution to Singapore's success, and it's not equal to not being loyal. I seriously do not understand why some Singaporeans think this way; to push for improvements in the performance of our politicians is the duty of every Singaporean who has the right to vote. My worry is that if these ruling party MPs continue to not be contested in Parliament, they will become too contended and eventually lose their function, which is evidently happening...)

Labels: