Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Love just is.

Was in Chicago over the weekend for Citylights. It was an interesting weekend: almost died laughing at Hossen Leong's jokes and his legendary Sang Nila Utama song, got stuck in Midway Airport for 4 hours because of legendary American midwest snowstorms (though got back $100 travel voucher for that and my delayed + almost misplaced checked bag :D), had an eye-opening experience regarding the potential of *amusing acts* overseas Singaporeans can be up to, and realised how atypically nerdy JHU Singaporeans are. And got back (free) chilli sauce and fried rice sauce from Yeos.

Haha well, I don't deny that I am a nerd. I don't get drunk; I don't flirt with girls; I don't force people to dance with me (which I cannot do at all anyway) and because of that instigated *hatred* in someone else unknowingly.

In fact I really dislike every one of the above three. I rather spend time writing nonsense here, writing nonsense to newspapers and writing nonsense to journals than to do all those.

I know I sound really condescending but I still have to say this. If you want people to respect you, you must respect yourself. Mutual respect is the basis of all forms of relationship! I rather be over-cautious than to be over-casual.

And it is very interesting to note that it is considered INAPPROPRIATE to just stand around and watch people getting drunk and flirt with girls without joining in. Why would that be the case? Simple logic, but I think I should save the answer. Oh well.

One more thing:
How very true: Love changes everything (Sarah Brightman). And how potentially it can whack a person lateral medial cranial caudal dorsal ventral. You choose to live or perish in its flame: just try your best not to choose the road to condemnation. Yet again, that is subjective. Well, argh, just don't do it.

And moral of the story:
Don't speak against your heart. Let down guard, be open about it, let the other party involved to be the FIRST one to know about it, and then go whichever direction both of you deem fit. A lie is needed to cover another, and it will accumulate so much such that in order to break the chain the stake would be too high for you to bear. In the end, you can't even be friends, cannot act when you need to, and you will feel like beating up people. Most importantly, problem for yourself comes when UNRELATED people (i.e. a mob, etc,; brother sister good friends not counted) are involved before anything conclusive firmly establishes; you will have MUCH LESS room for yourself. Never let that happen.

Might not be the best solution, might still have a lot of weird unpredictable consequences, but oh well, can anyone think of anything better?!

Anyways, was working on my anthropology paper.
Title: Do you think that culture shapes emotions such as love?

My whole brain is filled with all kinds of weird theories because of this. Tried my best to put everything together; should be pretty successful though.

And people ask me what 'love just is' mean. Well, it's from here:

There's a song in Hindi ... [Love is not created, love just is.] ... Love can't be created, ... [I]t happens by itself ... Now, really, that's how it happened with me.
Laura M. Ahearn: Invitation to Love: Literacy, Love Letters and Social Change in Nepal, Ch. 7, pp.150

Labels: