Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Some stuff worth talking about.

I guess life has gone into routine once again. Wake up -> Call home -> Go to classes -> Lunch -> Classes -> Back home -> Cook dinner -> Bathe -> Study -> Sleep. Soon ECA and Lab will go in there somewhere.

Realised that a lot of the seniors actually double major and overload in their classes without problems. Was trying to look through the course list to find a possible option, and actually found that Economics and History of Science, Medicine and Technology are quite feasible. Will see what happens next semester... (But the disadvantage would be, I won't get to learn German...)

And I intend to be part of the Hopkins Emergency Response Team. Contacted the group via email and they say that I need to pass a test before I can be part of the team. Reasonable I guess :) and I feel more confident with that too. Got my dad to send me all my qualification documents in case they need them (anyway, in Singapore we have to carry the cards with us when we practise, so I think in the US it won't be much different?). And they told me they are going to conduct a course during Intersession to upgrade all team members to EMT-B (Emergency Medical Technician - Basic) level, which means that if we can't find a job and want to be ambulance crew members we can :)

And discovered a stamp dispensing machine at the basement of Gilman where the old post office used to be, and managed to solve my stamp problem! Bought a book of 24¢ stamps. So when I send something back to Singapore or to any other part of the world except the US, Canada and Mexico, I can use 24¢ + 24¢ + 39¢ = 87¢, which is only 3¢ more than the required amount. I seriously do not understand why 84¢ stamps are so hard to get...

Classes are quite alright so far, no problem coping as yet (considering Chemistry has always been my strength?), but that Billy Bud is really not an easy read. By the way, attended the first Writing class and it was indeed quite interesting and insightful. The group discussed about due process and references in the United States Constitution and how it is defined. I need to respond faster though, as the Americans respond to questions really quickly, and usually most of the time they have spoken before I can put my thoughts together :(

And was trying to reproduce the chicken stew we made during the pre-departure programme. It was a failure: I think I added the plants too early, and canned potatoes really suck. I am determined to make it work. So eventually it will.

Those beef cubes I made today was a success though (haha I will only put up pictures of my successes, so imagine for yourself how the failure looks like :)). An all time favourite (for me):


Black pepper beef cubes / Fried eggs with onion / Spaghetti. And *pseudo* Amaretto coffee :)