Thursday, September 07, 2006

Last Day of Orientation

Hmm finally lesson is going to start... And mugging is going to start too... :( (I might have to be working REALLY hard?)

By the way, yesterday didn't get to eat free BBQ food as it was raining, and they move the stuff indoors where I was turned away by the lady guarding the door (I wasn't too happy about that as it was like, hello, if you all happen to be serving food on the Beach are you going to check my J-Card and attempt to deduct non-existent meal points from it?!). So I went to the Chinese take-away to get some crispy noodles (it was atrocious), and bought back eggs, ham, tomatoes, lettuce, chicken, spaghetti, soy sauce, sesame oil, mushroom soup, etc. to get ready for the first showdown :)

Did some research and picked out some research groups that seem to be doing some interesting work. Will continue searching... and I might also be emailing Red Cross to see what kind of work I can do with them.

Well, today was the day for all freshmen to 'serve the community'. Apparently, the organisers grouped everyone according to Resident Halls, and since I do not live with the rest of the freshmen, I do not belong to any group and so, I joined Yiran's group together with David, a guy from Indonesia who also does not live on freshmen halls. However, Yiran's group had so few people (because everyone didn't go?!) that the organisers combined several small groups into a big one to go around the neighbourhood park to PICK RUBBISH. How exciting this was. So we spent the whole morning walking around, talking crap and well, PICK RUBBISH. We did manage to fill up 2 trashbags though, as there were a lot of bottles and newspapers left everywhere. (Mum's advice: pick BIG pieces and then we can rest earlier! :))

Later will be meeting Teck Chuan and Chyan Ying to go down to a Chinese provision shop near Peabody. I'll see what they have there :)

And check this out: it tells the story of my family.
http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl060905_501.html