Friday, April 24, 2009

Back to life w/o car.


This is all that is left of my car now.

In an amazing way all was settled and sealed within 36 hours. I don't have to worry about it anymore - I don't have to go and find a dealer or a junkyard myself. Everything is done.

Yesterday morning was action-packed. At ~7am the car died in the middle of Martin Luther King and created a small jam when yc was sending his friend to the airport. He called me immediately and I rushed down to MLK with a cab, which his friend took to the airport. I called AAA, paid ~$65 and got a tow-truck to come. I got it towed to the mechanic that I usually go to. He looked at it and said, if I were to fix it, it will cost around $1500.

Wow. Of course I am not going to - and he offered to junk it for me. I gave him my papers. There is some crazy administrative glitch on the car (maybe the glitch was around when GCS had the car already, I would never have known): the VIN on the title and the VIN on the car don't match (the car information that GCS gave me was completely wrong anyway: the car was a 1993 Mitsubishi (not 1990) - that is a side issue). I tried to ask him for some money but the glitch put me in a very weak position. So anyway, he still offered to junk it for me, but I didn't get back anything. That is actually still awesome - if he refuses to take the car, I wouldn't know what to do really.

Today I went to the MVA (completely by MTA okay - I didn't know that is even doable until today) to return the tags and called to cancel my insurance. Progressive is going to return me ~$93 because my insurance is pro-rated. That is awesome.

So now I am back to a life without a car - and I really must thank God for forcing me to solve this problem now and making everything so smooth for me. When I still have the car, I have always been pondering when should I go to the MVA to solve the admin problem (because in order to transfer the title - especially to a dealership or anyone that I do not know - they will want perfect documentation) and to where should I bring the car to - and I really do not have time to do all these. I have already made it clear to my friends that I will not sell it to them - only 1 person has said that he might want it actually but I have told him that anyway - because it is really going to become a liability pretty soon. In addition, the car couldn't pass emissions inspection - and the amount of money needed to fix that is at the $300 - $400 range - and that needs to be addressed before registration expires in September. I absolutely do not want to do that, and I have not attempted to.

Haha so mum/dad, sorry hor. No more car already. Take train and bus with me :D

Labels: