Friday, February 02, 2007

Principles.

Just had a rather unsettling discussion with GCS earlier in the evening, which prompted me to dig this file up and post it. Was written not too long ago; I believe some of my fundamental principles are somehow subtly addressed in this seemingly unrelated post.

Should we allow commercial trading of human organs?

I don't know how the recent hype about commercial trading of organs came about. Though this reminded me of something which disturbed me quite a bit.

About a year ago I went to Thailand with my parents. When we are at Pattaya, as arranged by our tour guide, we watched the famed 'Thai-girl' show for the first time.

I won't elaborate how the show was like here; it is, just, simply, explicit. Well, I won't deny that it could be entertaining. However, after the show, I told myself I will never go back to watch similar things again. And I will encourage nobody to go.

It cannot be an art (although it is so claimed). Really.

The experience gave me the feeling that, us, as audience, were basically culprits of human exploitation. Though not directly, our curiosity generated demands for such to be put up, and hence these shows were put together by the direct exploitors to satisfy us. We are definitely the most important part of this sin committed against some other fellow citizens of the world.

My way of looking at it is, well, these girls who were featured in the show are definitely those who came from the lower classes of society, who received little or no education, who are not aware of what is happening around them, and who are certainly unable to make a better living via means familiar to us because of ignorance and illiteracy. Hence, when such organisations approached them, offering them better standards of living for selling their dignity, they either have no choice but to accept, or because of ignorance or out of their desire to make a better living with relative ease accepted the offer with glee. Then, people like us flock to Thailand and pay the organisation (most probably illegitimate) thousands to watch the show, further encouraging such acivities.

If such a cycle does not exist, these girls could have found some other ways to make a better living (sell food, for example, or be maids, or factory workers). They might not earn as much (in fact I doubt they gain anything substantial from these shows), but at least they live a life a human should.

We are all created as equal. That's why I am so pissed when I read about that RJC blogger's comments on a fellow Singaporean last year. So what if you are more able; you still treat everyone else with respect!

However, a friend looked at this from another angle.

He told me something to the effect of 'the existence of such clans are actually beneficial to the lower class'. The economic condition of the country, the level of intellect and the level of education these girls possess would not allow them to have any other alternative to lead a better live. They have two choices: be part of the clan and entertain us, or live a hard live forever. The clan is actually helping them to get out of the vicious circle.

Another important claim: since the girls are willing, we cannot say anything about that. We cannot judge their situation with our perspecive; such is considered condescending because we are way higher on the economic and social ladder.

That is a saddening reality. Even in the issue of organ trading, we face the same problem: the rich needs the organ, the poor needs the money; they both get what they want, and the middleman gets his commission. Win-win-win situation; it makes complete economic sense.

But it is still wrong. It is just wrong. This is, well, exploitation. Exploitation of the poor's need to feed his family; exploitation of his desire to live a better life; exploitation of his need to get out of the poverty cycle. In exchange for his dignity as a human being.

In the poor's point of view, my stand could be utter nonsense. What dignity am I talking about, when he can't even live a decent life? And what am I preaching to bar him from the chance to make a better living? What right do I have to do it?

No, I have not. I am living such a comfortable life now. But why is the poor asking all these questions? In fact, he should not have to: if there isn't such a wide gap between the rich and the poor; if there isn't such an imbalance of oppourtunities between different classes of society.

Tolerating 'Thai-girl' shows to exist and allowing commercial trading of organs is an easy way out. A cowardice, shameful easy way out. I do not believe that there is no other way to meet both the needs of the rich and the poor; it just require some willingness to commit from the higher levels of society, some determination to act, some form of sacrifice from both parties, some sense of humanity, and some respect for other fellow human beings.

Do not let utilitarian considerations and needs completely obscure our souls! There are things fundamental to human life that are worth defending.