Monday, January 08, 2007

Rationality vs. Sentimentality.

It would be too long to make it a comment. I believe it is worth a new post.

HY -> GCS:
Rationality and sentimentality do not conflict. When I make decisions (or when I give advice) I make (give) rational and reasonable ones; however, that doesn't mean I can't be sentimental. It is just that I do not allow sentiments to completely rule my decision making and subsequent actions. My heart tells me something, but it will be up to my head whether I will follow my heart.

I have no problem following sentiments if, after rationality assessment, such a course of action will not give me consequences which I cannot bear (whatever that constitutes will be up to my head). However, if it will, I will follow logic and reason only.

You might regret following logic and reason, feel bad for quite a while because of lost opportunities, but it will not kill you. However, if you let sentiments obscure your logical mind, it can bring you catastrophic consequences.

I know this sounds really impersonal. However I believe this is the best way to handle your directions. I never believe in Tk's theory, though he always always will come out with some grand alternative theory to conform his actions to mine (hahaha don't you agree?). And you have similar principles too; you and your opportunity cost assessments can be worse than mine. So don't talk so much :D