Thursday, November 30, 2006

Holiday Log #2: Chicago

Day 3: 23/11/2006 Chicago

Southwest Airlines :)

View from GCS's house: nice right. I made it my new wallpaper.

Smoke-filled kitchen... (photo stolen from Deb)

Separating egg white from egg yolk... (photo stolen from Deb again)

Hor Fun, Char Kway Teow, Kang Kong, etc...

Spent the whole morning packing; you know, when you reached home at 10:30pm after being killed by the rain and the wind, there is nothing you would want to do...

Left home at 12:00, missed the bus to Penn Station, so walked all the way down, and missed the light rail shuttle again. So in the end, I waited another 30 minutes at Mt Royal, getting bashed by the wind and rain again before the stupid light rail came to bring me to the airport. Sense and Sensibility did help distract me a bit from the cold though...

Southwest Airlines was free sitting. The whole flight was full, so was not expecting a good seat at all, until the air stewardess told me that there was an empty emergency exit seat... Hahahaha I cannot believe my luck man. Southwest Airlines was much better than expected; they served free flow complimentary drinks (soft drinks to juice to coffee and tea), peanuts, and crackers. And the seats are pretty comfortable. No complaint :)

Though GCS's car is a big problem. He kept nagging at me (and Tk, to a lesser extent) as soon as I arrived (about how gu niang I was and how troublesome it was for him to get there...), and being xiaoyang, I was civil enough not to care (and I know I can take revenge when he comes to Baltimore hahaha). Though that amused Jess and Deb very much :D

We had free dinner that night, all thanks to Jess :), and before that we went to get our stuff for the Thanksgiving dinner we were going to make. We bought a lot a lot a lot of stuff, and realised how lucky I was to have brought all my tiramisu ingredients from Baltimore as that supermarket ran out of cream. And stuff in Chicago is definitely more expensive than Baltimore... Cereal there costs $3.00 a box while on discount; Baltimore only $2.50...

And after dinner we went back to start making desserts. Tk started making his cheesecake, and when the cheesecake is baking, the oven started to smoke... and initially we though it was because of a bottle of soy sauce GCS left inside the oven (don't, ask, me, why.); however, the smoking continued, and to our horror, there was fire inside the oven! Apparently Tk's cheesecake was leaking oil. And the best thing was, after the cheesecake was finally done, it fell into the sink and was soaked. Though my tiramisu was fine throughout; if I overwhipped the cream it would really be good game :P

We had supper at Penang Chicago (Penang overload :P) but it was so much better than DC's! We had kangkong, hor fun, char kway teow, chicken (from Tk's DSTA friend, Huimin :) ), etc... And then milk tea, yuan yang and some form of bubble tea from this completely HK style cafe. At that time I still didn't know how big their Chinatown was...