Wednesday, April 02, 2008

More about Cambridge!

I have been looking for accommodation in Cambridge and have found a place slightly north of town centre which is going to cost me 325 pounds a month + bills around 50/3 pounds. It's supposed to be owned by a university lecturer, and should have a kitchen, bathroom, washing machine, wireless internet, microwave, phone, a garden, etc., and 2 PhD student housemates.

It is almost $100 cheaper than what I am paying for my place now. And it has better facilities.

Judging by this kind of price I can survive even with a little surplus (probably more surplus compared to Baltimore) on my $1400 allowance! Don't tell A*STAR!

This gets to show how ridiculously underpaid we are compared to others :(

I don't want to live too far from town centre, so the price to pay is that I will need a bike to get to Addenbrookes everyday. That's around 3 - 4 miles - still closer compared to the distance between JHMI and Homewood, which is 6 miles. Should take me around 15 minutes depending on traffic.

Will have to do some proper recce-ing when I arrive; my plan is to get a second-hand bike and then sell it after my stay...

Provided that the two PhD students are peaceful, I will be able to enjoy the most tranquil summer in my whole life while doing something interesting.

A sample non-working, non-travelling, EuroCup-is-over Saturday:
1. Wake up 2. Check email 3. Grab lunch 4. Go to Borders to look at books 5. Grab one or bring one (or bring papers, whatever) and go to a coffeehouse and chill one afternoon 7. Buy stuff back 8. Make dinner 9. Check more email 10. Sleep

It sounds so awesome! Haha I am excited :D I need rest! And I am looking forward to it :D

4.5 more weeks to end of term, 6 more weeks to end of finals, 7.5 more weeks to Cambridge!

Labels: