Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Zaobao Forum.

From Zaobao:
永久居民也有义务和贡献
(Permanent Residents have their responsibilities and contributions too)

My most recent contribution to the people of Singapore. Should be able to keep some occupied for 3-5 minutes at the breakfast table.

Friends, comment! This is the article that I am the most proud of. I will let you know why during discussions :P Or maybe you know why too :D

Continuing with my life:

I decided not to book the ticket yet.

1. I still have yet to pay my rent for spring semester, and while I wait for funds to come through, I am practically surviving on merely ~$750 until March; unless I mobilise funds in Singapore.

2. I just applied to a lab at medical school and the PI seems willing to take me. Waiting for him to confirm with me regarding the interview. Well, until I settle down with my work, I won't know when I can/want to leave Baltimore. (The lab does work related to Hedgehog (Hh) signalling in carcinogenesis, if you care.)

And I am officially 'good' at sectioning. Well, that involves carving a small stepped pyramid out of an epoxy-embedded sample block, then carve a 0.5 cubic mm trapezoid at the tip, smoothen the surface of the trapezoid, set the machine to cut 50 - 90nm thick sections with a glass knife, and then fish them out using carbon-coated grids. I took 2.5 days to get decent sections for viewing and had fun today playing with the TEM taking pictures of T-cells and hunting for invading HIV. And had fun helping people with their sections :)

Next stage: operating on rodents. If I can perform a brain surgery on a rat and it can function the way I want it to after the surgery, that would really be a personal breakthrough :P