Saturday, September 02, 2006

The very first day.

So let me start from the very beginning.

On 29 Aug 2006, 1705hrs, I was officially on my own and out of the jurisdiction of my parents (actually it could be around 2 hours before that when the both of them and my sister left the airport BK EXTREMELY CHEERFULLY). Well, although they didn't wish to send me all the way in (which cost me $300.00 in return), GCS, Shireen, Kenneth Lay, Ghee Chuan and Sook Yee were there (thanks! :)), so at least I didn't need to go through immigration alone...



After that was the most tiring plane ride (26hrs! Beat that..) I have ever taken. In Singapore, Taipei, Los Angeles and Baltimore, my plane was always parked FURTHEST from the checkpoints. And to add to it, Yiran and me were seated on the LAST row on SQ30. So when we were at LA, we decided to brisk walk all the way and try to overtake everyone in front of us so that we could be ahead in the queue. However, it didn't work! We got stuck in front of the stupid immigration checkpoint for more than an hour; we saw the baggage belt started running, then stopped, and our bags being thrown out of the belt while still waiting for those people to clear the queue. However when it was our turn, we cleared both immigration and customs pretty quickly, and saw this guy next to us with one whole bag full of Twistees, Mamee noodles, etc being checked by custom officers wearing blue latex gloves. We were so very amused... :D

Despite us setting aside 3 hours for transit, by the time we cleared everything we only had 45 minutes left to the next flight, and we got to find Terminal 7, which was all the way at the other side of the airport... Yiran and me were literally running across the airport (at least 500m) to get to the right terminal, got checked again, got halted halfway when we were finding the gate as the security officers were doing a drill, and when we finally got to the gate (which was again furthest from the checkpoint), we barely had 15 minutes before boarding started...

Well we arrived in Baltimore in one piece though, and I saw the sky turning bright (cannot see the sun though) while on the plane. It was a nice start...