Saturday, October 20, 2007

Life.

How I love life back in Singapore.

In Singapore, I have never had a Friday afternoon whereby I have one essay to revise (almost completely), 3 history papers to read and 2 exams to study for.

In Singapore, work has never been stressful so far. Although I might be busy, but I would almost be exclusively working for someone; meaning, I don't have to find literature to read myself, interprete literature myself, design experiments myself, find positive and negative controls myself, etc. All I have to do is just follow instructions and maybe design a bit of experiments.

In Singapore, I know what is going to be on the exams, because there are these things called 'practice papers'.

In Singapore, things come to me by themselves - like the $300 that A*Star just gave me. I don't have to work very hard to get something.

In Singapore, someone would have done all my short-term life-planning for me. I don't have to think about 'what classes to take for next semester' or 'what to do for summer' etc.

Arghh America is not like that. America shows you all the possibilities of life, tells you how good you can possibly become, and all you need to do is work towards it. Though the catch is the 'working' part - you have to do everything yourself. You can choose to enjoy life and slack too - it's just that you know what the outcome will be.

Maybe I am a little too ambitious. If I had only aspired to become a doctor like the one I have been seeing since I was a kid probably my life would have been much easier.

Oh well. There is this cool (yeah glioblastoma is cool - not so much when you actually get it) lab in SICS dealing with brain tumour stem cells. I never knew that someone in Singapore is interested in tumour stem cells - maybe I can work for them during my 1 year RA and help them figure out something (stain for nestin?) :P

Labels: